Monday, August 31, 2009

The Project Fun Factor

Projects can be tedious if fun is absent. Building a fun factor into projects will help their success factors. Since people are the fundamental value proposition into the success of a project, shouldn't it include some fun? What is the project fun factor? Where can the fun factor be found?

While I could rationalize why I purchased a motorcycle (gas economy, greener form of travel) the main reason I started riding was to enjoy my travel, be it to and from work or across the country. I didn’t see any reason to purchase a vehicle that was somewhat restricted as to when I could ride (rain, sleet, snow are not good for two wheeled travel) unless I’d have fun along the way. The fun factor in motorcycle riding is being in touch with what I am doing. It gives me an opportunity to be present, aware, in the moment, moving with the environment and the machine. It is as if I become part of the environment. I am the twisty road, the bumper to bumper traffic, the open road. When I am on the bike I can feel the temperature drop as I enter a valley, I can smell things like rain coming down the road, I am in touch with my surroundings. I am fully engaged, aware of my relationship to the surrounding traffic and focused on riding to the best of my ability. That kind of focus or belonging is liberating. I am not driven to reach my destination by fear but, by being the best at what I’m doing. If I were driven by fear I wouldn’t ride, there is no fun in fear.

So, I’ve made the decision that I won’t ride afraid and that I will have fun. It is important to make the distinction that knowing the risks is very different than riding afraid. I won’t take a motorcycle trip unless I believe I can get to my destination safely and I won’t do it if I’m going to be miserable. A challenging ride is part of the fun of riding so it isn’t about being conservative in the rides I choose. Making sure I can arrive safely doesn’t mean that everything will go according to plan or I won’t run into trouble. I just have a realistic belief that I am able to achieve what I’ve planned. If I don’t believe it, I don’t go.

I believe work, a project, has a fun factor. The fun factor is the same as the fun factor for riding a motorcycle. It is in being “in touch” with what we are doing. The project fun factor is being present in the relationships with those whom which we work, being present in the project we are working on, believing we can reach the destination safely, being fully aware of the changes in our environment, and by moving with the organization and the customer need. The fun factor isn’t in reaching the destination although that is part of the fun. The fun factor is in the project itself. When a project is driven based on being the best and not driven by avoiding the worst, the project is more fun and more successful. Being aware of the inherent risks associated with projects should not mean that we focus on the risks.

The motorcyclist is accountable for the fun of the ride. I believe the project manager is accountable for setting the project up for the fun factor. That does seem like a lot to ask of a project manager. I admit that every moment of every motorcycle ride is not fun. I would agree that keeping it fun every moment is not possible. I would argue that the rider, the project manager, has more to do with the fun than anything else.

When I ride I focus on being the best, doing the best, being present in my environment and being fully engaged. I strive to do the same thing when managing a project. Aware of the risk I focus on the destination. I am accountable to all team members for the fun factor.

The project fun factor: focused on being the best and doing the best, being present and in the moment, aware of the people around you and your environment. Let’s have some fun.



Ride On, Manage On.

0 comments:

Post a Comment