Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Project Management Decisions, Decisions, Decisions (intro)

I was heading down the road on my motorcycle and could see the sky ahead grow darker. The skies weren't a solid stretch of darkness, there was some sunshine mixed in so that I carried some hope that I wouldn't be riding into a downpour. I didn't know the road well and the curves would take me away from the bad weather and then back towards what looked like soaking rain. I'd been riding for about 2 or 3 hours so I pulled over at a gas station to fill up and assess the situation. Time to put my project manager hat on.

Project management, as defined in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), consists of applying "knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements". It goes on to mention that it requires "balancing the competing project constraints". There are other books that define project management similarly, project management requires planning, organizing and controlling activity to obtain the project objective. All of the definitions boil down to making decisions or, at the very least, pulling together the information needed for making decisions by a project sponsor, change control board or other group responsible for decision making within the project structure. Whether making the decisions or presenting the information, the project manager must determine the decision making process(es) for the project to ensure consistency and ease of use for all team members.

I finished filling the tank and moved the bike over to think through the situation. Storm clouds were moving briskly and there was a bit of a wind. I knew I was looking at a 50% chance or more of getting caught in some rain. I didn't have much of a ride left, maybe an hour or an hour and half. I'd ridden in the rain before so I knew how it would turn out, actually, I'd ridden in a storm before. The criteria that I looked at for my decision was my personal experience, my motorcycles ability in the rain, the likelihood of getting soaked, and how much longer I had to go to my destination. What's a little water anyway? I took off down the road.

Decision making processes don't have to be complex, cumbersome or take a great deal of time. There are a few things that can be done to make it easier such as determining the process ahead of time (inputs, tools and techniques, outputs), determining the roles and responsibilities involved in the process and then simply following the same process each time. Minimizing the importance of making clear decisions is counterproductive and making the decision making process complex slows progress. The goal of making decisions is to do so with the available information when the decision needs to be made. Maintaining simplicity in the process is critical to keeping the project team, including stakeholders and sponsorship, engaged. A good process ensures appropriate participation and ensures healthier decisions.

Good decision making is at the heart of good project management. Setting the project up for successful decision making is a critical part of being a good project manager.

Ten minutes after I started down the road the rain started, just a drizzle and then sunny skies. Well, sunny skies for a moment. When I arrived at my sisters’ house my legs were soaked but I had a smile on my face. I was safe at my destination and got to play in the rain.

Ride On, Manage On

0 comments:

Post a Comment